Monday, January 20, 2014

OpenDJ 2.6.0 on Windows Platform

Installing OpenDJ on Windows can sometimes be clueless.

I was at a customer's site last week and was trying to showcase how easy it would be to install and setup OpenDJ and had it up and running in minutes.

I had done it countless times before the meet-up …. on Linux and Solaris …. and on my Windows 7 laptop ….  Ooops! Big mistake!

I was trying to impress, but was embarrassed.

The customer gave me a Windows Server 2008 OS. So what? I remembered Windows 2008 is supported.

But as soon as I executed setup.bat, the following error occurred:
"…\lib\winlauncher.exe is not a valid Win32 application"



A quick workaround is by setting the appropriate ClassPath and running the Java command directly.


set CLASSPATH=C:\…\opendj\lib\bootstrap.jar

java.exe -Dorg.opends.server.scriptName=setup org.opends.quicksetup.installer.SetupLauncher


That solved the setup.bat issue. But subsequently, I needed to start OpenDJ using start-ds.bat. Bomb yet again! So embarrassed.

I am now trying to reproduce the problem in our labs with a Windows 2008 R2 server and attempting to go via the pure Java command path.


Anyone encountered similar issue on Windows machine?


.








2 comments:

  1. Encounter the same issue in windows 2003. Did you find any solution for this issue except the one you have mentioned in the post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. In fact, the mentioned customer had moved on to Linux. :)

    ReplyDelete