Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Over-Quota logging in Sun Messaging Server

The company I work for has been supporting Sun Java System Messaging Server for a Singapore government-link group of companies for close to 2 years - a total of 25-30 hosted domains.

A typical question I always get from my customers is: Why is my mail delivered late?

If email is not delivered at all, then it is easier to reply:
  1. Held by anti-spam/anti-virus server
  2. Sender did not even get the email sent (stuck in their outbox)
  3. Sender sent to wrong email address (Ha! It really happened before!)
  4. etc ...

But the complain now is why email is delivered late ... It took me quite a while ... 

In the end, I found the answer by parsing the mail.log file. 

19-Jun-2009 16:43:28.75 ims-ms                    R 57 ahcheng@abc.com rfc822;max@abc.com max%abc.com@ims-ms-daemon /
opt/SUNWmsgsr/data/queue/ims-ms/003/ZZg0x5H1dfFdv.00 <00a901c9f0b9$fe729d30$fb57d790$%lim@abc.com> mailsrv  Over quota



No comments:

Post a Comment